Apple II Plus - Trash to Treasure - Part III - The End?

I haven't given an update on my Bell and Howell Apple II Plus machine since 2020.  I have done several little upgrades on that machine which have combined to produce an amazing looking machine.  This year at VCF Midwest I got to talk to the owner of MacEffects, thank him, and show him a picture of the machine. Later I realized that I haven't posted about this machine here on the bLog.

Since I last blogged about this machine, I asked around about which color monitor would pair with the machine.  I realize that most Apple II machines of this era would have been paired with Black and White monitors, but I was holding out for a Color monitor that existed at the time.  It turns out that the Sony PVM line does go back to the 80s.  I didn't find a period correct PVM but I was able to buy one that is the right size to sit on top with the floppy drive next too it.

I also added the Language Card to get the machine up to 64K, and a Microsoft Z80 card so I can run CP/M on this machine.  I made some wiring repairs in the backpack for the power supply so it would be more reliable.  I make a joystick adapter to go from the DIP style connector to a 9-pin connector so that I can plug in Apple IIe style peripherals to this machine.

But the most dramatic changes are cosmetic.  After having an eBay saved search running for several years an Apple II Plus Top Cover came up.  I had seen one a couple years back and I took a pass on it, but I'd been regretting that decision so I jumped on this top cover.  Since it was for an Apple II Plus, the badge and color was wrong but as I have alluded too MacEffects is producing reproduction badges.  So with a bit of paint for the top cover and a new badge, it looks like a Bell and Howell top cover.

Knowing that I would have the computer looking amazing, and seeing that MacEffects also has case badges for the Floppy Drives, I purchased one of these as well.  Taking the drive apart to repaint the housing was pretty straightforward.

After a bit of repainting my barn find Bell & Howell Apple II Plus looks better than I ever could have hoped given the state the machine was in at the start...


During VCF Midwest I talked to another owner of one of these machines and through conversation with him and with other folks I learned that mine is one of the earlier machines.  It has the sought after Backpack (although the audio section of mine is not working) and it has keyboard keys that are more smooth.  Apparently Apple switched keyboard vendors later in the product run.

I'm super happy to have this machine in the collection and grateful to the community for the help, advice, and new parts that I needed in order to get this machine back to where it is now.  It's certainly in my top ten favorite machines in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment