Macintosh Portable - Power Supply Recap for M5136

 I've been working on a couple of Macintosh Portable repairs for a friend.  While doing this, I've been doing alot of reading on the forums, see this excellent compilation of threads on troubleshooting the Macintosh Portable on 68KMLA.

I've been fortunate enough to get the M5136 Power Adapter with my portable.  From my understanding, it's important to use this adapter and not a replacement because the power management circuit in the Macintosh Portable relies on the 1.5 Amp current limit that this power supply has, a replacement power supply with a higher current limit may work in the short term but can damage the Portable over the long term.

So, I had two challenges to getting the recap of this power adapter done, how to get into the case without dremelling or totally destroying the power adapter housing, and the second too get the capacitor values.

Getting inside was no problem using the technique demonstrated in this video.  The video shows the PowerBook 100 series adapter, but I can confirm that the Macintosh Portable is the same, and the technique works flawlessly.

The second challenge was getting the capacitor values off the board.  I'm not aware of another resource online for getting this information, please let me know in the comments if you have another resource.  In the meantime, I hope you find this guide helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment