Apple IIe Card for Macintosh LC Continued...

As I've mentioned in this previous post, I'd been able to acquire a Macintosh LC system on Craigslist that included an Apple IIe card.  The card was missing it’s Y-cable, Apple Part Number 590-0703-A.  This is a custom cable only used for this card so if you buy the card without the cable it’s quite hard too find.  There was someone building and selling replacements, but they haven’t been available for some time.

As I’ve already mentioned, I built some adapters using point to point wiring.  Since my use case is for the FloppyEmu, not an authentic Apple II drive (which I do not have to test) I have not connected the 12 volt supply lines.

After making this adapter...


I decided I really wanted a joystick connector, so I built this adapter...


Neihther of these adapters are very reliable, and honestly I’ve been a bit afraid of a short causing damage to the card, which is something I would not be able to replace, so the project continues.

I've never designed a PCB before, and I've always assumed that it would be difficult and that the software tools were out of reach but after seeing multiple YouTubers not only advertising for PCBWay, but also actively building little problem solving boards, I decided that I should not be afraid to try my hand at building a circuit board to solve this problem.  I started out by downloading and installing KiCad, and watching several of the. “Getting Started” Videos on YouTube.  With a few evenings of learning  and working on this, I was able to get a design created that was acceptable to PCBWay.  Finding the right angle connectors on DigiKey was a challenge, but finding the footprint files that KiCad needed for those connectors was surprisingly easy.

Waiting for the boards to arrive from China was the hard part, I live in Minnesota so order from DigiKey usually arrive in a couple of days.  I couldn’t wait to solder up the first one and do some testing.  Had I done it right, or would rework be required on the circuit board after?


Well, the circuit board worked, I was able to read the FloppyEmu, and I was able to play games with the Joystick.  All in all a very gratifying experience.

This is a simple circuit and a simple design, but I’ve decided to share it with the community.  The files are here...
I've decided to go Open Source Hardware on this as a way to give back.

I’ve so appreciated how generous people are with their time, and this is a way that I can give back a little bit too the very small portion of the retro computer community for which this board may be of use.

It’s my hope that every Apple IIe card that still exists out there will be able to be put back into service with FloppyEmu and a Joystick.

As always, I appreciate any and all feedback, leave a comment below.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment